All About STEM NEWS
STFC: Nuclear Physics Masterclass 2019
The Nuclear Physics Masterclass is a one-day event from STFC Daresbury Laboratory running on the 4th and 5th July 2019. Schools can choose to attend on either day.
The event runs from 09:30 to 16:00.
The masterclass is aimed primarily at sixth form students, although high-achieving year 11 students may also benefit. This is a great opportunity for students to learn about cutting edge research from physicists working in universities and research facilities.
This masterclass, organised by STFC Daresbury Laboratory, is being run in conjunction with the University of Glasgow, the University of Liverpool, and the University of York.
The Nuclear Physics masterclass programme will include:
- Introduction to Nuclear Physics talk from Dr Rachel Montgomery, University of Glasgow
- University of York Binding Blocks Workshop – pupils help build an eight metre long 3D nuclear chart of all isotopes made completely out of Lego™ York University. https://www.york.ac.uk/physics/public-and-schools/secondary/binding-blocks/
- University of Liverpool Gamma-Ray detection Workshop– pupils will be identifying the spectra from several “unknown” source of gamma radiation Liverpool University.
- STFC Simulation of Detector Systems Workshop – pupils will simulate realistic radioactive source and record the energy deposited in an NaI scintillator and Germanium detector.
- Tour of Daresbury Laboratory and Careers session
STFC Daresbury Laboratory and Nuclear Physics:
STFC Daresbury Laboratory is a world-renowned centre of research excellence. Funded by the government, STFC keeps the UK at the forefront of world-class scientific research, technology development and innovation.
Nuclear Physics research studies the properties and structure of nuclei, and the mechanisms involved in their creation. This poses questions about the fundamental physical processes which governed the formation of light nuclei in the first moments after the Big Bang, and the subsequent synthesis of heavier nuclei within stars. This work provides technologies which are transferable to wider applications, including medicine, power production and security.
About the event:
There is no charge to attend the event. Masterclasses require a huge amount of effort from nuclear physics professionals, many of whom travel from our partner organisation to deliver this event. It is a huge disappointment when places on events go unused due to attendees dropping out. Therefore, we will require a £50 cheque from each school to secure your booking. This cheque will be returned to you at the event.
Students will be required to wear school uniform (if they wear one) and bring a packed lunch with them. For further information or to express an interest in booking, please email Gemma Reed- [email protected], or call on 01925 603 828.
The Big Bang North West 2019: FULLY BOOKED!
Big Bang North West: New Headline Sponsor – Unilever!
Metro Mayor Opens Big Bang Competition Awards Ceremony 2018
The Big Bang North West 2018: Your AMAZING Feedback!
The Big Bang North West 2018: Official Gallery
The Big Bang North West 2018: Big Bang UK Competition Project