All About STEM NEWS
Home & School Learning: STEM/STEAM Resources Collection 8
There’s no need to ride the search engines, hop off at All About STEM’s Inspiration Station!
During this time, we know that teachers and parents are surfing the web looking for fun, interesting activities for their children. Supporting this mission is our priority so every weekday we will be sourcing and sharing home & school resources, competitions, virtual tours, videos, ideas, awards and more!
We’ll also be listing activities to promote positivity, mindfulness and exercise.
Science – Technology – Engineering – Art – Maths – Body – Mind – Enjoy!
- Science & Artificial Reality: THERE’S A LION IN MY LIVING ROOM!
-Visit Google on your smartphone & search for an animal.
-Scroll down a little to see ‘View in 3D’ and click…
-Your camera will open & you can place a AR animal in your house!
Lion – Tiger – Cheetah – Shark – Hedgehog – Duck – Emperor penguin – Wolf – Angler fish – Goat – Rottweiler – Snake – Eagle – Brown bear – Alligator – Horse – Shetland pony – Macaw – Pug – Turtle – Cat – Octopus – Dog
- Emmy award winning presenter, educator & best selling author, Steve Spangler has 50 Science Experiments on offer for 50 Days!
- Discover how to make a Bouncy Egg
(It really works, we’ve tried it – boing!)
- Can you make water walk?
- World renowned education publisher, Scholastic, has released downloadable school activity packs for all ages (various subjects).
- Design & Technology: Make your own constellation projector!
Take a look at this project, you can try this one or design your own.
- During this time Code Academy is offering 10,000 scholarships to high school & college students across the world. Click here to find out more!
- Need ideas for Secondary Technology?
Visit STEM Learning & take a look at their suggestions & extensive resource library.
- Short-term Project: Try recycling old smartphones into home security using free apps! (Adult permission & supervision required.)
- Non-screen time? Mr P (ICT Online) has some awesome infographics including non-screen activities & 100 things to do indoors.
- Be a life-saving engineer!
Design a mountain rescue litter to recover injured climbers (or in this case injured potatoes). This activity is simple but can be modified for older children, they could include a kit list or medical supplies and research rescue technologies.
- Explore sound with these fun activities – everything from creating animal ears to making your own record player! (Remember to use a record that you no long want.)
- How far can your air powered car go?
(Adult supervision required)
- ArtyLingua have a selection of awesome engineering packs. If you complete one, you could earn a CREST Award!
Today’s focus – Collage
- Beginner: Make a landscape collage
- Intermediate: Create a fun photo collage or frame for your room…
- The Expert: Watch this video & take inspiration from artist MarcPaperScissors. Use his techniques to create your own masterpiece!
- Join in with the daily home maths lessons hosted by Gareth Metcalfe from I See Maths. (Primary)
- Try Moneysense! This is a free financial education programme for ages 5-18. Lots of games and activities to get cash savvy.
- Can you beat the Tower of Hanoi? In this online game you can increase the number of discs to raise the level too!
- Maths & Physics: Make a Pendulum Snake
You don’t need the pipe work for this one, as long as you have a straight (& safe) frame or bar to tie to that doesn’t move.
- Make geometric tensile bubbles!
- We love these ‘Thank You NHS‘ colouring sheets from Be Creative!
Great for children, teens or adults to use to relax…
You could display them on your window too.
- Creative Ideas have tons of inspiration for garden or patio pebble art.
- Printable packs! Visit Kids Yoga Stories, they have so many ideas to download – different exercises, stretches & themed yoga positions.
- Soothing sounds… the beach, the sea, birds, trees, take your pick from this list of videos and get comfortable.
- Circuit training for kids! Short quick exercises with rests…
- Diversity! Get fit & dance with Ashley Banjo here – videos are free until the beginning of May.
“Diversity and the whole 20DV team want to spread nothing but love and positivity in these troubling times and we think dance should be accessible to everybody regardless of circumstance.”
Don’t forget to follow All About STEM on Twitter & Facebook as we’ll be posting more resources there.
-Tag us @allaboutstem to highlight useful resources and we will feature them or pass them on.
-Tag us in your home or school project photos and inspire others. We’d love to share them and celebrate your children’s success!
We know this is a very difficult period. We will try our best to showcase enriching educational activities and help you find what you need in the shortest time.
Keep it fun, keep smiling, keep safe
– Team All About STEM