All About STEM NEWS
International Day of Mathematics: Resources & Activities
The International Day of Mathematics (IDM) is a worldwide celebration of maths taking place on the 14th of March. All countries are invited to participate through activities for both students and the general public in schools, museums, libraries and other spaces.
Take a look below as we’ve brought together an awesome list of maths resources for school, STEM club or home. Plan a session or event to celebrate and share your activities and involvement!
The theme for 2020 is Mathematics is Everywhere!
- We travel the world guided by precise mathematical calculations based on the position of the sun, stars and GPS satellites.
- We explore the inside of the human body through CT scans and MRI by building images out of numerical data through mathematical algorithms.
- We photographed a black hole and continue exploring the edges of the universe with mathematics.
- The number of petals in flowers.
- Fractals in nature.
- Patterns in the skins of animals and wings of insects.
- Architectural landscapes: suspension bridges, arches, structures.
- Mathematics in music
- Things with shapes that can be described algebraically
- Stacked spheres, like fruits or cannonballs
The IDM ‘Maths is Everywhere‘ website provides a fantastic collection of subjects and starting points for home or classroom activities.
A series of posters in several languages that show, through very relatable examples, the role of mathematics in science, nature, technology and human culture.
Snapshots of Modern Maths
STEM Learning Maths Resources & Ideas
STEM Learning have CPD, ideas & an enormous library of resources and activities, click here to take a look!
Have you got maths eyes?
All About STEM – Maths Activities Collection
Maths Everywhere – An interactive tool to help with number and calculations in everyday life
BBC Bitesize – Maths Games & Learning (All Ages)
Online Maths Games
Secondary Interactive Games
Fraction Finder & Ration Rumble
Association of Teachers of Mathematics: Open Resources
Teaching Ideas for Maths Day (5-11)
Don’t forget to tag @allaboutstem too, we’d love to share your news!
FULLY BOOKED: The Big Bang North West 2020!
Big Bang North West 2020: Headline Sponsor – Unilever
Enter the Big Bang UK Young Scientists & Engineers Competition!
Look back: Big Bang North West 2019 – 8000 Children Celebrate STEM!
Look back: Big Bang North West 2019 – Your Fantastic Feedback
Look back: Big Bang North West 2019 – The Movie