All About STEM NEWS
Careers & Enterprise Company: Teacher Support & Student/Parent Resources
John Yarham, Interim CEO of The Careers & Enterprise Company –
“Two weeks ago, the news that schools would be closing their doors to the majority of young people came as a huge shock – if not a surprise – to most people…
Having spoken to hundreds of Careers Leaders over the last fortnight to understand their needs and offer support accordingly, we have been blown away by how quickly they have adapted, by the innovative approaches we’ve seen to learning and development, and by their determination to continue providing brilliant careers education and support for the class of 2020.
(On our website) we’ve included more free, online resources, ideas and training to support Careers Leaders, young people (including those with SEND) and parents during this time. ” Continue reading this article…
Resources for Students
The Careers & Enterprise Company has collated resources which are divided by Key Stage to help you find useful and innovative ideas for your children/students.
Key Stage 3-5
- 10 Ways to Achieve Careers Education at Home – home study career education ideas – workbooks, websites, videos and more.
- Be Ready – free online training platform covering key careers, employability and well-being. CPD certificate on completion.
- Free Home Learning Resources from TES – 87 free resources for home learning.
Key Stage 4-5
- Barclays Life Skills – students are able to learn where their skills are needed and see the inner workings of a company.
- Go Construct – careers and apprenticeship information in construction.
- EtonX Future Skills – Eton College is making several online self-study courses from their Programme available free of charge.
Key Stage 5
- A complete guide to how and why Year 13 should use LinkedIn, produced by The Misbourne, the lead schools for the Buckinghamshire Careers Hub
SEND and Key Stage 3-4
- Explore the world of STEM – a selection of free online resources available from Learn by Design for all to use, to help explore the world of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths).
- How to explain the current situation to young people with SEND – a SEND specific resource to explain the current situation in a clear and ‘friendly’ manner. The story to support the pictures is at the end of the book for teachers, parents or carers.
Support for Parents
A Parent’s Guide to Careers Guidance – The decisions young people make from an early stage at school can have a big impact on their future career choices and happiness. This guide by Cascaid is designed to provide an overview of how parents can help support their children with these important choices.
‘Learning with Parents’ webinar – What can we in the education sector do to support disadvantaged communities with parental engagement at this critical time?
Teachers/Careers Leaders/Support: Building a Stable Careers Programme (Gatsby Benchmark 1) – Webinar Series
After Easter, the Careers & Enterprise Company will be hosting a series of free webinars to support schools and colleges in their continued development of a stable, structured careers programme.
The webinars will be recorded and made available online for those who are unable to join live. There is also free Gatsby Benchmark 1 training available online.