All About STEM NEWS
University Learning in Schools (ULiS) Resources for KS3
A host of STEM resources have been developed over two years from the University Learning in Schools (ULiS) project.
ULiS paired teachers with PhD researchers to create 15 KS3 modules to develop teachers’ subject knowledge and improve pupil outcomes. In total, the ULiS project has created seven STEM modules including Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics & Physics.
These STEM modules can be found on a dedicated ULiS microsite at: http://tinyurl.com/ULiSKs3. They can help teachers to broaden and enrich their delivery of the KS3 curriculum. The material can be used flexibly, as a series of lessons, as the basis for extended project work or as exciting and engaging one-off study days.
Teachers directly involved in the ULiS project reported:
- improved subject knowledge, either in the breadth of their understanding or the depth of their existing knowledge
- more confidence in areas related to pedagogy and practice
- they were better able identify and deal with pupil misconceptions related to subject knowledge
Success factors include:
- pupils were stretched more by the challenging unit content and more complex ideas
- pupils were encouraged to think more critically and be more analytical
- pupils were more engaged with the unit content because it was more current and more relevant
- the unit had provided students with ‘threshold concepts’
- the unit had been more discursive and engaging
- the unit had moved at pace and been more challenging.
THE BIG BANG NORTH WEST 2016 IS COMING:
Don’t let your school miss out!
Click here to book…