All About STEM NEWS
World Habitat Day 2021: Projects & Activities
The United Nations designated the first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day to reflect on the state of our towns and cities, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter. It also reminds us we all have the power and the responsibility to shape the future of our cities and towns.
Scroll down for home & school project ideas!
The theme for World Habitat Day 2021 is ‘accelerating urban action for a carbon-free world‘.
“The theme recognizes that cities are responsible for some 70 percent of global carbon dioxide emissions with transport, buildings, energy, and waste management accounting for the bulk of urban greenhouse gas emissions. Events and activities during World Habitat Day will explore how national, regional and local governments and organizations, communities, academic institutions, the private sector and all relevant stakeholders can work together to create sustainable, carbon-neutral, inclusive cities and towns.
World Habitat Day will amplify the global Race to Zero Campaign and encourage local governments to develop actionable zero-carbon plans in the run up to the international climate change summit #COP26 in November 2021.
STEM Learning have CPD, ideas & an enormous library of resources and activities! Here are a few project ideas to get you started but you can click here for more!
- Climate Detectives
- The Grand Challenges: Artificial Intelligence, ageing society, clean growth and future mobility
- STEM Learning: Carbon Dioxide & Climate Change – Resources
- Global Goals Resources
- Global Issues: Helping People (Activities)
- Domestic Waste
This topic, from the Association for Science Education, allows classes across the world to exchange information about waste management. Students discuss the ways in which their community deals with waste and what can be done to cope with the problems caused by waste.
- CSI: Litter challenge for schools
Litter is a major issue for our environment, posing a threat to wildlife and affecting the health of our oceans. It also affects the local community impacting on the look of our streets, parks and schools as well as being a financial burden. How can you help? Take the CSI challenge!
- Super Sucker: Design a machine to clean up litter
This resource provides a design and technology project for older primary children. Linking to the topic of electricity, it provides a practical context in which children focus on electric circuits, motors and batteries to build their own mini-vacuum cleaner.
- Renewable Energy Wordsearch
- Poster: Top 10 Reasons Why Renewable Energy is Cool!
- Renewable Energy: A Resource for KS3/4
- CREST Superstar: Recycle Reuse (P154)
- CREST Bronze: Waste Free Lunch, Grand Challenges, Monitoring Acid Rain, Plant Growth & Nutrients,
- CREST Bronze: Clean Growth
- Practical Action offers a range of Global Project Ideas & environmental activities. Global Project Ideas provide an excellent starting point for pupils wanting to do a project based on Global issues, these can be completed as part of the CREST Awards Scheme.
- Discovery Challenge – Stop the Spread
Cleanliness, disease, waste & health
- CREST Awards: Discovery Award – Sustainable Solutions
- Climate Superheroes (Farmvention: Discovery Award)
- Youth Industrial Strategy Competition (Bronze/Silver/Gold CREST Award)
Follow & tag: @UNHABITAT #WorldHabitatDay« Back To News