All About STEM NEWS
STEM at St Vincent’s School, West Derby – A Specialist School for Sensory Impairment and Other Needs
Since 1850 St Vincent’s School in West Derby has had a tradition of excellence in the education and care of children with a visual impairment (VI) and other needs, including Hearing Impairment (HI). The school specialises in providing an all-round education maximising academic achievement, personal development, independence and self-worth. It caters for pupils from Foundation Stage to Post 16, offering day, extended day and residential placements. The school’s pupils are from across the country, including Wales, and whilst it is the only Church school in England for VI children it celebrates and values the faith traditions of all pupils.
Educational provision is broad and balanced, focusing on the statutory requirements of the National Curriculum and the individual needs of pupils but the provision goes so far beyond this!
Staff deliver an enriched curriculum based around innovative and creative design-based project work – amazing STEM programmes, with activities which address the UN Sustainable Development Goals, engage both local and international communities and provide really rich pupil experiences.
- Sightbox, a toolkit for international VI access to sports and education
- Journey for Peace, a programme to help school communities raise awareness of VI and provide opportunities for action to support VI communities around the world
- Reclaim the Green, which inspires innovation from VI pupils, enabling them to be the agents of change for climate action
- The list goes on!
The school is keen to attract VI/HI pupils to St Vincent’s to experience their enriched curriculum and is open to all potential partner engagement and collaboration. Staff have big plans for collaborations on Sightbox content, a global VI games in 2022 and an international online music concert to name but a few!
Principal, Dr John Patterson says,
‘Our aim is to make St Vincent’s an ‘education and enterprise village’ by research-informed, collaboratively-driven, outcome-led and project-based reverse inclusion.’
And you could be involved!
- Do you work with visually impaired or hearing impaired disabilities?
Have a look at the school website to find out more about the work St Vincents is doing
- Perhaps you’d like to train as a VI teacher?
You can complete your MQTVI (Mandatory Qualification for Teachers of Visually Impaired) at St Vincent’s
- Does the work of the St Vincent’s sound like something you, or your organisation, might like to support or get involved with?
Read more about school vision in this IMPACT Journal article.
- Maybe your school would like to join St Vincent’s Eco School Network?
- Would you like to collaborate with St Vincent’s on their STEM projects, as a school or, with your VI/HI pupils?