All About STEM NEWS
Home & School Learning: STEM/STEAM Resources Collection 15
There’s no need to ride the search engines, hop off at All About STEM’s Inspiration Station!
During this time, we know that teachers and parents are surfing the web looking for fun, interesting activities for their children. Supporting this mission is our priority so every weekday we will be sourcing and sharing home & school resources, competitions, virtual tours, videos, ideas, awards and more!
We’ll also be listing activities to promote positivity, mindfulness and exercise.
Science – Technology – Engineering – Art – Maths – Body – Mind – Enjoy!
- Do you want to make at-home science fun?
Try these exciting experiments!
- CREST Awards have a brand new Home Learning offer on their website! Take a look at the fantastic activities & downloadable resources – you can earn a CREST Award for your projects!
- Make bubbles inside of bubbles, inside of bubbles!
If you don’t have a pipette, try a large straw.
How many bubbles can you make?
- BBC Bitesize daily lessons start at 9am on your TV’s red button, on BBC iPlayer & online. They have primary & secondary schedules available.
- Oak National Academy is offering an online classroom packed with lessons & activities (all subjects) for Reception to Year 10!
- CoderDojo (Warrington) have tons of awesome coding activities, videos & walkthroughs. Visit their website and try digital making & stop motion animation… they even have a 30 day Minecraft Challenge!
- All About STEM’s Parent-Bot Challenge!
1, Download & print these handy Scratch blocks from Fractus.
2, Send your parent to the front door and try to create lines of code to direct them to your back door… how many commands did it take?
3, Did you make them bump, dance or spin? Have another go.
4, Now try the Fractus Space Game!
- BBC Game: Dance Mat Typing
Learn to touch-type over four different levels…
Can you master this tricky tech skill?
- STEM Careers: The Pledge Partnership puts employers at the heart of inspiring, informing and communicating with the next generation of employees in Cheshire and Warrington. Talk to employers LIVE!
Click here for more!
- Cracking Ideas Competition with Wallace & Gromit!
The 2019/20 Cracking Ideas Competition includes a host of fun activities for children aged 5 to 11 plus guidance for teachers to kick start your childrens’ cracking idea.
There are lesson plans for KS1 to KS4 students too!
- Make a Gliding Car – if you don’t have wooden dowels, you can experiment with the materials you use. Can you recreate the design or improve it?
(Adult supervision required)
- Egg Smash!
Can you design a vehicle that will protect an egg from a crash?
- Engineering at the Movies
Three pages of activities for children from STEM Learning!
Today’s focus – Photography
- Try something different with these phenomenal photo ideas for lockdown, they all use items from home.
- Learn the rule of thirds for more interesting shots that pop!
- IN NEON LIGHTS!
Set up a photo of a large neon sign on your laptop screen.
Turn off the lights in the room.
Put on some reflective sunglasses.
Stand close to the sign/screen.
Shoot a selfie & crop the image to hide the screen edge!
- Complete & Capture: Covid 19 Time Capsule
Complete this free booklet to remember this time & add any photographs you capture.
- Print your photos – you can get 50 free prints per month with this app!
(To a total of 600 prints)
- Create & design your own family money
It can be as simple or ornate as you like!
Use your money to make a money game or you could earn family money in-house in exchange for chores… save up for some extra tech-time or treats!
- Sudoku Puzzles! Download & print to solve, make your own or play online! Here’s an easier version for younger children if you need one.
- iPad fans? Try these tablet friendly maths games from MathsFrame
- Choose your age-range & take part in the Maths World Cup. See if you can score one of the hourly records. Parents can play too!
- Visit The Woodland Trust Facebook Page for how to make a simple bird feeder or a bee hotel. Their website shows you the kind of wildlife you can expect to see…
- Mindful Schools: FREE Online Mindfulness Class for Children
-School or Home-
- The M6 Theatre Company have performances to watch at home to watch at home!
- Cosmic Kids: Make a Mind Jar, find relaxation techniques, games and more!
- Healthy Recipes – There’s even an app for your phone!
Try a new meal today…
- Join together as a family & climb virtual mountains.
Count your stair steps to the peaks!
- Choose your moves with the Dance Party Choice Board from education.com!
- Planning Playtime (Printable): Spell your name letter by letter and complete the challenge exercises!
Don’t forget to follow All About STEM on Twitter & Facebook as we’ll be posting more resources there.
-Tag us @allaboutstem to highlight useful resources and we will feature them or pass them on.
-Tag us in your home or school project photos and inspire others. We’d love to share them and celebrate your children’s success!
We know this is a very difficult period. We will try our best to showcase enriching educational activities and help you find what you need in the shortest time.
Keep it fun, keep smiling, keep safe
– Team All About STEM